Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter Nine


1.     What are your earliest recollections of magazines? Which magazines do you read regularly today? Why?
a.     When I was growing up in school we would always read TIME for Kids or Highlights for kids in school. For leisure, I was always begging my mom to buy Cosmo Girl, Teen Beat, Seventeen, or Tiger Beat when we went to the grocery store. All of those magazines were full of color, fun pictures, quizzes, and posters and “juicy” gossip about celebrities or events. Today, I regularly read Cosmopolitan and People. I gravitate towards these because, similarly to my youth, I go for magazines that I can relate to. Cosmopolitan contains articles and images that attract me as a young women, People magazine contains articles that attracts me as a person interested in fashion and celebrity gossip. Magazines are one of the few sources of printed media that I still purchase because I find that it’s easier to read a magazine printed without getting side tracked on face book or Google.
2.     Discuss whether your favorite magazines define you primarily as a consumer or as a citizen. Do you think magazines have a responsibility to educate their readers as both? What can they do to promote responsible citizens?
a.     Cosmopolitan is my favorite magazine and I think it defines me as primarily a consumer, but it could also define me as a citizen because this magazine promotes equality for women as well as world issues. Along with fashion and relationship advice, Cosmopolitan does a good job of informing readers about world events. I think magazines that appeal to large groups of people have a responsibility to inform their readers about important topics to make them responsible citizens, but I also think that entertainment based magazines shouldn’t have to feel pressure to report on serious issues. I know for me personally, I read Cosmopolitan for fun and to escape from the harsh news like CNN. If I were to read Cosmopolitan and find harsh topics in every page, I would likely stop reading.
3.     Do you think the Internet will eventually displace magazines? Why or why not?
a.     I definitely think that the Internet will eventually displace magazines. To begin with, this is already happening. Several big time magazines folded last year and began only maintaining websites to engage readers. Martha Stewart Living, Seventeen and many teen-focused magazines are only online. I think this says something because teens are very plugged in when it comes to the Internet, so their news sources are gravitating towards the Internet only. As this generation grows, their news will stay online. Older generations still appreciate their printed media because it’s familiar, but as they age, their printed media will no longer be needed. Children born today may not see printed magazines because their connectivity will be much higher than that of adults today. While some magazines may remain in print, I think the majority will be phased out in the very near future in exchange for a URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment